UK Sales: 0191 418 1122         International: +44 191 418 1133


5 December 2023
  • Next day delivery
  • Free standard UK delivery
    on all orders over £100
  • Industry leading
    customer service
  • Free technical support
    from our team of experts

Radio microphone and in ear monitor frequency guide

Digital switchover (DSO) – information from Ofcom

Digital switchover (DSO) is now complete. This means that all UK analogue TV transmissions have now ceased – they have been replaced by new digital TV transmissions. Almost everyone can now receive digital TV through an aerial. Digital TV uses less UHF spectrum which means that there is more room for new services such as wireless broadband, local TV and High Definition Television (HDTV).

How does it affect my radio microphone and IEM?

The 800MHz band is now no longer be used for TV broadcasts and Ofcom have cleared the 800MHz band TV channels 61-69 to match UHF spectrum being released in other European countries (European Harmonisation) for 4G mobile broadband services.

What actual frequencies have been affected?

TV channels 31-37 (550-606 MHz) and also TV channels 61-69 (790-862MHz) are both no longer available for radio microphone or IEM (In ear monitor) use.

What has happened to the European harmonised de-regulated licence-free spectrum between 863–865MHz?

The de-regulated and licence-free TV channel 70 (863-865MHz) is still available for radio microphone or IEM use. No licence is required – however there is no guarantee of protection from possible interference sources.

So what frequencies should I use for radio microphones and IEM's?

Channel 38 (606 – 614 MHz) is the new home for licensed radio microphones and in-ear monitors. All manufacturers are offering new equipment on channel 38.

Please note: A licence is required from PMSE Licensing to operate radio microphones in channel 38 – currently this is £75 for a 1 year licence or £135 for a 2 year licence. It’s a requirement by law to be in possession of a licence to legally operate radio microphones or IEM’s in channel 38. PMSE Licensing is the Ofcom department responsible for Programme Making and Special Events (PMSE).

How can I check what equipment I currently have?

You can usually find the frequency your microphone or IEM operates on by looking on a label or the display on your receiver or transmitter.

Where can I obtain further information?

Please refer to the following websites for more details, the latest news and developments: